Besides, the clutter free benefits that document scanners offer they also help you organize and retrieve documents as needed.
Thanks to my Scansnap and Evernote I had all documentation needed for my mortgage easily accessible avoiding any closing delays.
There are hundreds of document scanners on the market but not all of them are worth your money, time or the hassle to operate.
On this list, we will list the top five available as of August 2016.
You will see that one company Fujitsu will dominate this list and that’s because they offer the best line of document scanners and have been the top manufacturer of this scanners for over a decade.
So here we go.
This is the best consumer level document scanner you can buy right now.
The IX500 features wifi connectivity so you can use this scanner with either a Mac or PC computer, iOS or Android devices and even by itself because it can scan directly to the cloud services like Evernote, Google Drive, Dropbox and many more.
It creates searchable PDF for easy document searching and retrieval.
It has a 50 pages automatic document feeder and will scan both sides of a document at once.
Key IX500 Selling Points:
- One button searchable PDF creation
- Fast color, grayscale and monochrome scan speeds of up to 25 double-sided pages per minute
- Advanced paper feeding system with 50-page automatic document feeder (ADF)
- Scan wirelessly to Mac, PC, iOS or Android or via USB to Mac or PC
- Scan to cloud without a Computer or mobile device
This is without a doubt or number one recommendation but if you need something more affordable we still have four great selections for you.
Like it’s big brother the IX500 the IX100 features wifi connectivity and works with Mac, PC, iOS, Android and will also scan directly to cloud services.
Will it’s not as fast as the IX500 and lack some features found in the IX500 the advantage of the IX100 is that is a more portable device featuring a rechargeable battery so you can move it anywhere or even take it with you and scan from anywhere.
The scan quality is the best available on a portable document scanner as of this writing.
Key IX100 Selling Points:
- Scan a color document in 5.2 seconds
- Scan wirelessly to iOS or Android mobile device
- Scan wirelessly to a PC or Mac
- Scan wirelessly to cloud services
- Rechargeable battery
While the S1300i lacks wireless connectivity it makes up for it with fast duplex scanning and an automatic document feeder at a smaller footprint. Perfect for smaller desk or if you have to move it from place to place. This will have been our number 2 choice if it had wifi.
If you do not need the wireless connectivity at all or the rechargeable battery I will recommend this one over the IX100.
S1300i Key Selling Points:
- Fast color, grayscale and monochrome scan speeds of up to 12 double sided pages per minute
- 10-page Automatic Document Feeder (ADF)
- One touch searchable PDF Creation
- Automatic paper size detection, automatic color detection, automatic cropping, blank page deletion and de-skew
- Scan to: Evernote, SugarSync, Google Docs, Salesforce Chatter and Dropbox,1 year Limited Warranty
The Brother ADS1000W is a good value for its price. While its user interface isn’t as nicely excited as the ScanSnap line it offers wireless connectivity, duplex scanning and a document feeder.
Brother ADS1000W Key Selling Points:
- Scans single and double-sided documents in a single pass, in both color and black/white, at up to 16 ppm
- Wireless network connectivity, plus USB interface for local connections
- Easy-to-use TouchPanel display allows one-touch scanning to common destinations
- Easily scans business and embossed plastic I.D. cards, receipts, photos, and documents up to 34"^ in length through the 20-page auto document feeder
- Bundled with a valuable suite of scanning software, including desktop document, receipt and business card management programs
The Doxie Go Wifi competes head to head with the ScanSnap IX100 and is a very good device. I will pick the Doxie Go Wifi over the ScanSnap IX100 if I can find it on sale. There is also a none wifi version for about $50 less but I strongly recommend the Wifi version as it will make scanning from anywhere more easily.
Doxie Go Wifi Key Selling Points:
- Doxie Go Wi-Fi delivers smarter portable scanning you can take and sync anywhere - no computer required - with rechargeable battery, memory, integrated Wi-Fi, and included Doxie Mac, PC, iPhone, and iPad apps.
- Scan documents at your desk or on the go with Wi-Fi and Doxie's included apps. Simply insert your paper and scan full color pages in just 10 seconds at up to 600 dpi. Sync to the included software and share your scans within moments.
- Doxie is a fully portable scanner - with built-in battery and internal memory. Doxie's tiny size - the size of a rolled up magazine - stores an amazing 1,800 pages (or 7,200 photos) before needing to sync. If additional storage is needed, simply insert an SD card.
- Included Doxie apps sync your scans to your Mac, PC, iPhone, or iPad. Sync scans via Wi-Fi to your desktop to organize, save, and create searchable multi-page PDFs with award-winning ABBYY® OCR technology to recognize the text in your document. Or, sync scans to your iPhone or iPad with Doxie's iOS app to save and share your scans wherever you are.
- Built as the next generation of the original Doxie Go, Doxie Go Wi-Fi has 3x the battery life, 4x the internal memory, improved feeding, higher quality scans, and includes a power adapter - enabling Doxie's all new one minute setup.